Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spring Bento Lunch

Ever since the EasyLunchboxes arrived, Kierra has been bugging me to make her one "like for school." With the yucky snow we got today, I thought it would be a nice day for it. I figured I'd make it a bit of a "spring" theme since I'm SO over winter already.

Only problem is we're in desperate need of groceries. It's been a busy week, so we haven't gone out yet. I was going to get some things today and then the snow hit. So we didn't have much - just plain old white bread, eggs (no lunch meat...no tuna even!), carrots, pears, and mozzarella cheese. Cheese we usually have plenty of since my husband works in a cheese factory. Since we were lacking with everything else, I kept it simple. Both older girls got the exact same meal, so I only took a pic of Kierra's lunch (that's her finger in the pic LOL):


So, we ended up with an egg sandwich on white bread. Yeah, boring, I know. I used my new Lunch Punch that arrived today to make it into a butterfly. Those are awesome, by the way. Cut very easily, and also sealed the edges fairly well.

Then, to the upper right, I have sliced carrots and two iced animal crackers for a treat. Below that is the cubed mozzarella cheese and pear pieces in the heart-shaped muffin cup I have. Going with the spring theme, I put the bunny picks in. The girls decided it wasn't complete without a fish pick in the sandwich. Eh, whatever. It's their lunch after all.

The results? Kierra ate more than she often does. Most of her sandwich and only a couple of carrots, cheese, and pears were left. Ali, who reminded me she "HATES eggs!" actually scraped the eggs out and ate most of her bread. Wow! Normally if she doesn't like something, she just won't eat it. She also ate some of her other things, but gave her animal crackers to her sister because she claims she doesn't like them. I think I caught her on an off day for her appetite.

So what did I do with the sandwich scraps? Fed them to their baby sister. LOL It sounds so bad to say I fed her scraps, but it was the perfect amount for her and she doesn't mind crusts. So I gave her that, some cheese, and pears. I didn't take a pic of hers since it was rather boring. She's too young for the cutesy picks. ;)

Overall, I'd say this style of lunch was a hit. Kierra was already asking when we'll do it again. I told her I'll probably only do it here and there until she goes to school, and then she can have it every day at school. She seemed fine with that. It wasn't that it was a lot of work (pretty much the same as any meal), but it just seems over the top to be making these everyday when we're not even leaving the house. For packed lunches, they're very cool.

So there you go, my very first bento. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment